Jauclene, thank you for sharing your experiences with us! Being in a Kindergarten class myself, I know that many unexpected challenges come along the way and we have to be flexible with our approaches. I have also noticed that some of the students coming to school may have little to no experience in English. According to Wright, (2015, p. 5), these students would be language minority speakers. Language minority speakers are all students in the United States who speaks a language other than English. For these students, this is their first time hearing and using English. It is important to make these students comfortable. Like you stated, having the opportunity and the environment to practice in makes a big difference. I hope you have a great last semester of student teaching!
Emerald, thank you for your reply! Yes, kindergarten has its challenges, but I have also found it to be incredibly rewarding! It has been amazing for me to see the tremendous growth the these five and six-year-olds have gained already. We have a few ELL students in our class and I can see the difference in their behavior and perseverance if they are not comfortable or unsure of a situation or task. One in particular has days where he does not like to talk, and then days where he wants to share with me and flash his hundred-watt smile. On the non-talking days, I like to talk to him one-on-one about his work and how it might remind me of something about my dogs or my son. I talk to him about anything, without being pushy, and then I will ask a question. He usually responds, relaxes, and then gives a little more effort during class discussions later.
Thank you for telling us about yourself! It must be fun, that you're able to do your student teaching in Kindergarten. I have somewhat of an experience working with younger kids. I've been working in learning centers and daycares for almost 5+ years. During those years I worked with children as young as 2 to as old as 5. In my last few years working in daycare I mainly worked with Pre-K and I would sub for Kindergarten, and I definitely have to agree that Kindergarten has it challenges but they're very rewarding.
In your video you noted about the teacher in your elementary school years, that inspired you to become a teacher. You said that because he/she believed in you as much as you believed in yourself, and that's wonderful to know that he/she was able to do that for you. Which brings me to say, that it is very important to be able to do that to our students. Especially to students who have particular barriers in their lives and at school, this being that they have language barrier and then some.
Wright (2015) says "the ways educators choose to view their ELLs affect the ways they organize teaching and learning in their classes..." (p. 2). If we view our ELLs students with full of potential and hope, that they will succeed in their academics and throughout their lives, they too will believe it and will eventually become successful. Teachers inspire those around them, only if they show that they truly care for them.
Hope you have a wonderful semester! And also a great time with those Kindergarten students you have!
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hi Kohleen! I love the way you spell your name! Yes, I, like many other teachers or those studying to become a teacher was inspired by a teacher in my formative years. I just needed someone to believe in me, to show me that it was okay to believe in myself, and that I could do the things that I thought were too difficult. I struggled with reading. I do not remember if I was put into any type of RTI, but my teacher not only led me to believe in myself, she also took the time to get to know me and my home life. She bought me a book that she thought I would like, and I did. I could not put it down, and I was introduced to the wonderful world of literature! I read all the time after that, and I think that is why when I was in 8th grade I had a college reading level.
Jauclene, thank you for sharing your experiences with us! Being in a Kindergarten class myself, I know that many unexpected challenges come along the way and we have to be flexible with our approaches. I have also noticed that some of the students coming to school may have little to no experience in English. According to Wright, (2015, p. 5), these students would be language minority speakers. Language minority speakers are all students in the United States who speaks a language other than English. For these students, this is their first time hearing and using English. It is important to make these students comfortable. Like you stated, having the opportunity and the environment to practice in makes a big difference. I hope you have a great last semester of student teaching!
ReplyDeleteEmerald, thank you for your reply! Yes, kindergarten has its challenges, but I have also found it to be incredibly rewarding! It has been amazing for me to see the tremendous growth the these five and six-year-olds have gained already. We have a few ELL students in our class and I can see the difference in their behavior and perseverance if they are not comfortable or unsure of a situation or task. One in particular has days where he does not like to talk, and then days where he wants to share with me and flash his hundred-watt smile. On the non-talking days, I like to talk to him one-on-one about his work and how it might remind me of something about my dogs or my son. I talk to him about anything, without being pushy, and then I will ask a question. He usually responds, relaxes, and then gives a little more effort during class discussions later.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Jauclene!
ReplyDeleteThank you for telling us about yourself! It must be fun, that you're able to do your student teaching in Kindergarten. I have somewhat of an experience working with younger kids. I've been working in learning centers and daycares for almost 5+ years. During those years I worked with children as young as 2 to as old as 5. In my last few years working in daycare I mainly worked with Pre-K and I would sub for Kindergarten, and I definitely have to agree that Kindergarten has it challenges but they're very rewarding.
In your video you noted about the teacher in your elementary school years, that inspired you to become a teacher. You said that because he/she believed in you as much as you believed in yourself, and that's wonderful to know that he/she was able to do that for you. Which brings me to say, that it is very important to be able to do that to our students. Especially to students who have particular barriers in their lives and at school, this being that they have language barrier and then some.
Wright (2015) says "the ways educators choose to view their ELLs affect the ways they organize teaching and learning in their classes..." (p. 2). If we view our ELLs students with full of potential and hope, that they will succeed in their academics and throughout their lives, they too will believe it and will eventually become successful. Teachers inspire those around them, only if they show that they truly care for them.
Hope you have a wonderful semester! And also a great time with those Kindergarten students you have!
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hi Kohleen! I love the way you spell your name! Yes, I, like many other teachers or those studying to become a teacher was inspired by a teacher in my formative years. I just needed someone to believe in me, to show me that it was okay to believe in myself, and that I could do the things that I thought were too difficult. I struggled with reading. I do not remember if I was put into any type of RTI, but my teacher not only led me to believe in myself, she also took the time to get to know me and my home life. She bought me a book that she thought I would like, and I did. I could not put it down, and I was introduced to the wonderful world of literature! I read all the time after that, and I think that is why when I was in 8th grade I had a college reading level.
Delete