Course Reflection
As the semester ends, I
will reflect on what I have learned and give a basic understand of what one can
gain from this Second Methodology course. My understanding of ELL students
has expanded. I have learned about ELLs in my Language Acquisition class last
semester, so I was familiar with some of the terms. This semester I feel like I
dug deeper into the world of English language learners and what it means to be
a teacher with a population in her classroom. It has reinforced my
understanding of what students need in the classroom like pictures to go along
with directions, anchor charts, and different cooperative learning strategies. What
will stay with me the most is the need for cultural sensitivity and
celebration. Multicultural education is one topic that has impacted my learning
the most. This is because I can see in the elementary classrooms (most schools)
that it is only provided at the first level of contribution rather than the
later levels of additive, transformative, and social action that give students
more opportunity to think critically and act themselves (Wright, 2015, p. 21).
The strategies that I have
learned and taken to the heart was how to correct a student when they make a
verbal mistake. It is important to know when to implicitly, or explicitly
correct. Wright elaborates, “Correct errors when they impede communication.
Correct errors during ESL or other language focused instruction when a
particular language from has been taught and is being practiced…” (Wright,
2015, p. 159). Concerning implicit corrections, the teacher should restate the
student’s words in a correct, positive, and conversationally appropriate manner.
I also found the talk moves: Re-voicing, repeating, reasoning, adding on, and
waiting (Wright, 2015, pp.158-59) to be especially helpful with developing ELL
speaking and listening skills. My mentor teacher uses these skills during math,
but I have also begun to use the talk moves during reading, science, and social
studies to support student thinking and to zero-in on objectives.
I will take so much from
this class with me as I grow in my professional career. I especially want to create
a classroom culture that is a supportive community, almost like a family. I
want my students to be proud of their own cultures and language/s that make
them who they are. I also want the other students to be proud of their peers and
support who they are regardless of differences. I plan on doing this by
incorporating cultural significant reading material in my class and lessons, getting
to know my students and their families so that I may better understand what
they need emotionally and physically, which will help the students to focus on instruction
and no other issues. Using an example from my mentor’s classroom, we know that
one ELL student’s home life is chaotic. We know that sometimes the student does
not eat breakfast at home or at school. With the school’s permission, we keep
oatmeal breakfast bars inside our classroom for the days that the student comes
in with an empty stomach, so he can focus on learning and not being hungry.
There is much to keep in
mind when teaching children who are ELLs and it takes a lot of intentional teaching,
gentle guiding with math and reading, and a lot of patience and understanding. I
think that if a teacher can help a student progress in content while
maintaining value on the ELLs culture and language then they will set the
student up for success in the future. My only regret is that I do not speak
another language like Spanish that would put me in a position to help students
grow into productive adults and to essentially make a difference. That is why I
wanted to become a teacher after all.
Wright, W. E.
(2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research,
theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
The example you gave of what you and your mentor teacher do for one of your students who may come to class with an empty stomach is heartwarming. As we soon enter the educational field, it is crucial to get to know our students' lives outside of school, so that when they enter our classroom, they feel safe and welcomed. In regards to creating a classroom that is supportive of various cultures and languages, this is something that I strive to do in my future math class. Something that this class has taught me is to build on what ELLs bring to the class, and by honoring and respecting their home languages and cultures, I believe we will be able to make learning just as accessible and comprehensible for all our students.
ReplyDeleteMaggie,
DeleteYes, hearing about unfortunate situations is one thing, but then to actually experience a situation where a child is not getting their needs met at home is tough. Especially since as an educator there is a boundary of propriety that cannot be crossed. we have to learn and get build a rapport or relationship, but not get too close, to care, but not care too much to where it becomes unprofessional. I would like to work at a title 1 school, and I know that I will notice situations involving my students that are unfair. I hope that I will be able to handle myself in a professional manner when dealing with parents.
I really enjoyed reading your reflection of the course; I also believe that multicultural education is so important in the classroom and it is not being done justice in the classes I have seen so far. All students culture and languages should be celebrated and honored so students can appreciate the differences and similarities they have with their classmates. As a person who comes from not only a multicultural family, but a different religion as majority of kids in the classroom, I feel like as a kid I would have loved if my teacher had took the time to learn about my Pakistani culture from my father side of the family as well as my religious beliefs and customs. As a kid going to public school at times I did feel a little isolated because of my different religious beliefs and because I did not celebrate mainstream holidays like Christmas. I would have loved for my teacher to acknowledge Eid, a religious holiday that Muslims celebrate, and to be able to share about why this holiday is important to me. Just imagine how some ESL students feel coming to a foreign country where they are unfamiliar with the customs and language. According to Wright, teachers should be aware of the culture of all their students and know how culture can impact a student's learning (2015).
ReplyDeleteNadia,
DeleteI feel the same way! While I did not come from a multicultural or religious minority household, I did come from a poor one. I was also very shy. I remember feeling uncomfortable and frightened of speaking aloud in front of the class or worry about peer ridicule in social situations. I had one teacher who made me feel comfortable and valued. If I Could give that to my students in the future then I think I have one a portion of the battle when it comes to educating ELLs and other students who may experience differences in and out of the classroom.
Jauclene, I think it is great that you find it important to be aware of how you respond and correct your ELL students when they are speaking. Most times, students do not feel comfortable speaking in classroom environments they feel uncomfortable. It is important as teachers to make sure that we do not humiliate our students and cause them to take a step back in their learning because they feel like they are being judged. According to Wright (2015), "Teachers should correct only those errors students are ready to learn how to correct. We know from Krashen's (1985) natural order hypothesis that learners acquire some grammatical forms earlier than others, and those that are acquired later may be impervious to direct correction (p.157)."
ReplyDeleteHello Emerald,
DeleteI agree with what you are saying. I have seen this happen in my placement. I saw a students complexly give up because he was humiliated in front of the entire classroom. He is a third grade ELL and was reading to the whole class. He was really struggling and his peers were being horrible to him. laughing and insulting him. The teacher did not stop him just told the other students to stop. The little boy stopped reading after the first paragraph and began to cry. After this happen he did not even want to talk in class. I think teachers need to be aware of these threatening problems that will keep ells from wanting to learn. English. We need to help these students overcome these low expectations. I know that this class has taught me how to do that and I can not wait to have my own classroom and try my best to make a difference just like I know you all will.
Isabel, thank you for sharing your experiences. I think situations like this can be avoided when teachers take into consideration student feelings and are conscious of body language. Giving students the option to do things and not forcing students to go out of their comfort zone is important. I think when students are forced to do things, the end result it hating it.
DeleteIsabel,
DeleteWow! I cannot believe a teacher would allow a student to feel humiliated in front of their peers! How horrible it must have been for that child to completely give up! As I said, I think that it is our job as educators to GENTLY nudge our ELL students in the right direction, and not throw them into situations that hurt their confidence or diminish the progress that has been made. We give tools and foster the confidence to use those tools.
HI Jauclene!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this reflection. I am starting to see a common thread in all my other post and I am truly enjoying it! like all of my other post the biggest thing I see students have gotten from this class is the importance of a student teacher relationship. like wright said "Knowing a student’s ethnicity and country of origin, for example, allows the teacher to incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and techniques into the curriculum” (p. 17)" I feel that as a future teacher we have so much more duties than just to teach, and learning who , where , and why your student learns and acts the way they do is a big part of it. I enjoy learning about students who have been through their own ELL program and offering critics and information. I also have not seen a lot of other students put the importance of correction in their post, I am extremely glad that you have pointed that out I do feel that is extremely important. Thanks again for this wishing you the best!
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing
Kaila,
DeleteYes, I think the way that a teacher corrects an ELL is important. I can imagine a student who has just gone through the silent period and has finally gathered the courage to speak aloud, but then whose bit of courage was crushed by explicit correction by the teacher. I think that ELLs need gentle guidance with high expectation to lift them up, not keep them down.
Jauclene, I really enjoyed reading your reflection. Multicultural education is a topic that I also felt like I learned a lot about. “Multicultural education can help prepare all students to live in our multicultural society, with the attention to the complex social challenges…” (Wright, 2015, p.21) Because the different ways schools address multicultural education it is important we are knowledgeable and comfortable teaching about these topics. This definitely ties into what you said about maintain value on the ELLs culture and language. I love that you want to create a supportive classroom environment that is student centered. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteDaihah,
DeleteI agree that is important for educators to be aware of how best to respond to their students. I believe that this begins with learning of the ELLs background and culture, which will lead to building a rapport as well as learning that student’s needs in the classroom. We should know the personalities and want to lead them slowly to new situations if that is what their personality dictates.